Specialised Varicose Veins Treatment
In Durbanville, Cape Town, Western Cape specialises in varicose veins treatment using advanced sonar guiding and radio wave energy technology, called ELVeS or Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA). This is an alternative to surgical removal of varicose veins.
This ELVeS or RFA procedure for permanent varicose veins removal takes 45 minutes under local anaesthesia. The recovery time is quick – no bed rest is needed - and the treatment is covered by most medical aid schemes in South Africa. The procedure offers many cost saving features. It is performed in rooms, no need for general anaesthesia and no hospital stay.
FAST RECOVERY After varicose vein Removal
The procedure is done under local anaesthesia. Patients can then travel to the doctor’s rooms and back home by themselves.
Walking is encouraged immediately after the procedure for at least 30 minutes. A bandage is applied after the procedure for 24 hours, to promote venous blood flow to the deep veins. No bed rest needed. Patient can resume normal daily activities, as soon as possible. Light exercise may be done from 72 hours.
Quick varicose vein Surgery IN DOCTOR'S ROOMS
This very specialised and new surgical procedure for varicose veins treatment is performed by only a few surgeons in South Africa. Dr Frikkie Rademan is a registered and qualified general surgeon at Durbanville Medi Clinic in Cape Town, with a special interest in minimally invasive surgery in the management of venous disorders including varicose veins.
The varicose vein removal procedure usually takes 45–60 minutes. It is done in the doctor’s room and not in a surgical theatre. A relaxing environment is therefore created for the patients benefit.
In-Rooms procedures create big cost savings to the patient and Medical Fund because there are:
- No admission forms or fees
- No per minute billing for theatre time
- No Anaesthetist bill
- No surgical incision is needed – only a small 2-mm cut in the skin that does not require stitching.
- When compared with traditional vein stripping, ELVeS or RFA has fewer complications, is associated with much less pain during recovery and offers a less invasive alternative to standard varicose vein surgery.
- Most of the veins treated become invisible after the procedure, but may take up to 12 months to completely disappear.
- It is common to have persistent bruising, or yellowish-brown or blue discolouration of the skin around the treated vein for weeks to months after the procedure.
- Most patients report relief of their symptoms (such as aching and swelling of the legs, and the appearance of the varicose veins) and are able to return to normal daily activities immediately, with little or no pain.